Clarence and Peggy Shivers inaugurated the Shivers African-American Historical and Cultural Collection in 1993 with a substantial gift. A major fund raiser – the Shedding Light Celebration – is held over the Thanksgiving holiday biennially. These Celebrations have been extremely successful and are the major source of funding to fulfill the educational enrichment mission.
• Provide scholarships to young people interested in the study of classical performing and visual arts.
• Present classical concerts showcasing grant recipients and professional African-Americans talents.
• Expand contributions to Pikes Peak Library District through materials, workshops, and other educational presentations.
• Provide opportunities for the community to come together in celebration of History, Culture, and the Arts
• Charles Burrell Award
• Girl Scouts Woman of Distinction Award (Peggy)
• NAACP Living Legends Award
• NAACP Community Service Award
• Colorado Library Association Benefactor’s Award
• Urban League Community Service Award
• Colorado College Community Diversity Award
• Ent Credit Union YES Award
• African American Voice Citizen of the Year (Clarence)
• Delta Sigma Theta Sorority “Hats Off “ Award (Peggy)
• Urban League Whitney M. Young, Jr. Lifetime Equality Award
• Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Citizen of the Year Award
• Selected as Colorado Springs Heroes for the Children’s Week Calendar
• Resolutions of Appreciation from the Colorado Springs City Council, El Paso Commissioners, Pikes Peak Library District Board of Trustee, PPLD Foundation Board, and Friends of PPLD Board
• Local charter school now named Shivers Academy of Arts and Technology
• Jacqueline Lundquist “Kara” Grant
• Annually expands the African-American Historical and Cultural Collection at Pikes Peak Library District
• Created an Endowment to support the mission of the Shivers Fund
• Sponsors a concert series showcasing young artists
• Sponsors Classical Chat with Youth Workshops following each concert
• Awards a $1,000 scholarship to a deserving youth annually
• Provides grants for student participation in the Music Festival at Colorado College, the Vocal Arts Symposium at Colorado
• College and the Colorado Springs Children’s Chorale
• Collaborated with the Colorado Springs Chamber Orchestra (A Shivers Fund alumni was guest artist at the concert)
• Provided small grants to various youth and organizations within the community
@ 2017 Shivers Fund at PPLD